Land Records

*New* Land Records Online

Effective, April 6, 2021, the Milton land records can now be accessed online.

The Town Clerk's Office is responsible for recording all documents pertaining to property in the town. Common documents are:

  • Warranty Deeds, Quit Claim Deeds, Mobile Home Bills of Sale & the accompanying Vermont Property Transfer Tax Returns
  • Mortgage Deeds
  • Liens
  • Uniform Commercial Code (UCC) forms
  • Power of Attorney (POA) Deeds
  • Act 250 Deeds
  • Vermont Water/Wastewater and Stormwater Permits
  • Survey Maps (18" x 24" Mylars)

Recording Fees

Vermont State Statutes establish the following Recording Fees:

$15 per Page
$15 per Vermont Property Transfer Tax Return (PTTR)
$25 per Map (18" X 24" Mylar)

Land Record Book

Recording Process

Documents can be dropped off at the Clerk's Office, Monday - Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., or mailed to the Town of Milton, P.O. Box 18, Milton, VT 05468.  Documents are assigned a book and page number, stamped, scanned and then indexed in our software program. The process takes about a week or two, and then the originals are mailed back. Return envelopes are very helpful, but not required.

All documents conveying property (even if no money is exchanged) must have an accompanying Vermont Property Transfer Tax Return, Form PTT-172. Contact the VT Tax Dept for information on this form (802-828-2542).

Accessing Land Records

The Milton Land Records are available by appointment in the Town Clerk's Office, Monday - Friday, 8:00 am - 4:30 pm. Please call 802-893-4111 to make an appointment.  Copies of recorded documents are $1.00 per page. Our office does not look up recording information over the phone or perform title research.  We can help residents use our software program to find documents/maps, but we cannot offer any legal advice.