Response to COVID-19
Updated 04/07/20, 4:45 p.m.
At the Town of Milton, the safety and well-being of staff, residents and visitors is always our priority. We recognize that we are here to assist you, your families and our emergency service responders. We are actively monitoring the COVID-19 Coronavirus situation and taking steps to help keep our staff and residents safe.
Access to Milton Municipal Building is by appointment only. For those who must visit please use phone with dialing instructions placed at the front entrance interior doors in the lobby. Hand sanitizing stations are to be used before entering employee work spaces. Public use of meeting spaces in the Municipal Building, Library, Fire Station, Wastewater Plant, Highway garage and Police Station is suspended.
We are closely monitoring updates from the Centers for Disease Control & Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO) regarding COVID-19. We will continue to seek guidance from these agencies, public health officials and government agencies on an ongoing basis.
We are encouraging all residents to call or email if you need assistance from the Town. We are here to serve but in this unprecedented time, we want to protect the health and safety of our staff and residents. As always, thank you for your patience and continued trust as we manage through this time together.
Department Specific Information
- Assessors are conducting as much business by phone and email as possible to limit appointments.
- All training has been cancelled.
Boards & Commissions
Essential Town Selectboard meetings will continue as scheduled for now generally by teleconference. The public is encouraged to participate and engage remotely.
- Conservation Commission meetings cancelled until further notice.
- Economic Development Commission meetings cancelled until further notice.
- Development Review Board meetings will proceed on an as-needed basis.
- Planning Commission meetings cancelled until further notice.
Champlain Water District (CWD)
CWD utilizes a multi‐barrier approach to water treatment, including optimized filtration and disinfection. These processes are effective in removing and inactivating viruses, including COVID‐19, and result in a safe and reliable water supply as required by existing State and Federal drinking water standards. Connected users should continue to use and drink water from their taps as usual.
- Finance Department Director and Fiscal Assistant II will be working remotely and hours expanded to allow remaining staff to work at different times to avoid contact with others in office. Accounts payable, receivable and payroll are essential functions.
- No public access to the Fire Department except for crew currently on duty.
- Practicing social distancing.
- No training or meetings through April.
- Will continue responding to 911 emergency calls
Green Mountain Water Environment Association (GMWE)
GMWE is getting reports from all over Vermont about municipal sewer systems becoming clogged due to the flushing of disinfectant wipes and paper towels toilets.
Please do not not flush wipes, even if the package reads “flushable". Instead, dispose of them in the trash. When clogged, Wastewater system staff may have to clean out pumps, pipes, and screens by hand, increasing risk of exposure to COVID-19.
Human Resources, Administration, Facilities
- Community Room is closed until further notice.
- Cleaning crew is disinfecting all surfaces and currently working 5 days a week.
- Signage will be added to lobby.
- Posting all information on Facebook and Town website.
Milton Public Library
- Milton Public Library is closed effective Tuesday, March 17, until at least April 6.
- Online services and resources are available from the library’s website. Your user name is your library card number, and your password is your last name, all lower case.
- At this time, staff are available by telephone from 9:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Keep your checked-out items until the library reopens. There are no fines.
- The Library’s free Wi-Fi (Milton Library) is accessible from your car in the parking lot. There is no password.
- Updates and online resources are posted on the library’s social media pages:
Milton Town School District
Milton Town Schools closed for all students beginning Wednesday, March 18, 2020 and ending April 6, 2020. At which time closure will be re-evaluated.
Planning and Zoning Department
- Planning & Zoning staff are working remotely and are available by appointment.
- Police Department employees are working 12 hour shifts including Chief, Sergeants, Detectives, School Resource Officer and Administrative Staff. This creates four teams working independently of one another, limiting exposure between teams on and off duty. Office remains open for appointments. Call 911 for emergency.
Public Works Department
- Public Works Department maintaining highways, roads, water and wastewater system.
- Will not be activating water shutoffs or replacing meters until further notice.
- Highway staff have been divided into two crews, working independently.
- Water & Wastewater staff have been divided into two independent crews and Chief operator working remotely.
- Recreation Department has cancelled all in-person programs & events through through the end of April.
- Refunds issued for all pre-registrations of cancelled programs.
- Parks and recreation trails are open weather permitting. Users encouraged to practice social distancing.
- Dog Park is closed until weather and conditions improve.
- No public access to the Rescue Department except for duty crew.
- Rescue Department will clean own Department.
- Cancelled all training.
- Will respond to all emergency 911 calls.
- New Procedure for calls:
- Dispatch will screen people by asking three questions.
- Rescue crew will contact hospital ahead of arrival.
- Transfer of patients happens outside of the hospital.
- Rescue crew decontaminates all equipment after every call, even if there are no symptoms.
Town Clerk & Treasurer
- Town Clerk & Treasurer office closed to general public, with staff available by phone or email as normal.
- Services still available online and in modified ways, including Dog Licenses, Tax & Water Payments, Green Mountain Passports, Tax Bills, Vital Records & Marriage Licenses, Land Record Research, Assessor/Lister Cards, Notary Public Services.
- Issuing 30 days for extension of water shutoffs.
- Waiving late fees for dog licenses.
- Encouraging online payments and use of outside drop box for payments.
- Using gloves when dealing with cash.
- Title searchers allowed in office by appointment only.
- Town Manager’s Office will remain open by appointment only throughout the duration of pandemic. Town Manager staff, Human Resources Director will rotate to assure that office is open 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m. daily.
- Town Manager will meet with Selectboard regularly to update.
- Town Manager to provide regular public updates to residents on available Town services.
- All staff is encouraged to stay in own work space.
- Maintaining operations to provide services to residents on as needed basis.